Monday, March 23, 2015

An Irony of the Information Age

Way back in 1991, when I was young and had a creative imagination still, I wrote a series of stories about a fictitious people that I called "The Sea People."  I wrote the stories in a 5" x 8" sketchbook.

Since then, I have written various stories, and the beginnings of my 'Great American Novel', typed on computers and stored electronically.  Almost all of these later sketches and writings have been lost in hard drive failures, computer deaths, computer moves, lost loose-leaf printouts.  Almost nothing survives from these later 1990s early 2000s stories.

However, this old 1991 notebook is still with me!  It was in the garage for the longest time until today, I pulled it out to look at it.  This pen and ink (and sometimes pencil) sketch survives where modern information technology does not.  To be fair, I only started using the internet a few years back, and even less actually blogging and recording things online.  But that old 1991 notebook with handwritten stories turned out to be the most resilient of all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!